After reading the chapter, you should be able to:
- Define climate and climatology, and explain the difference between climate and weather.
- Review the role of temperature, precipitation, air pressure, and air mass patterns used to establish climatic regions.
- Review the development of climate classification systems, and compare genetic and empirical systems as ways of classifying climate.
- Describe the principal climate classification categories other than deserts, and locate these regions on a world map.
- Explain the precipitation and moisture efficiency criteria used to determine the arid and semiarid climates, and locate them on a world map.
- Outline future climate patterns from forecasts presented, and explain the causes and potential consequences of climate change.